Saturday, November 17, 2007

debate of the day: lighters vs. matches

Ok, my friends, you have your deliciously-scented candle perched on your desk and you are ready for its aroma to filter throughout your room. But how are you going to light it?

Personally, I prefer matches. There's just something about the sound that the match makes as it strikes the lighting strip on the match box. Also, a) you must have some sort of skill to light a match (and I like pretending I have mad skills b) match boxes are cool (I once stored three dollars worth of quarters inside one and used it to get into a party) and c) it's fun to try and light as many candles as you can before the flame burns your skin (extra points if you let the flame burn all of the way to the end of the match).

My roomates, however, prefer lighters. They have a handy red BIC lighter that travels between their rooms. One roommate prefers lighters because a) "I hate for the first moments of my lighting my candle to be marred by the smell of a match" and b)"I like playing with fire, and the lighter is like an awesome torch right in my hands".

So, my friends, it's really up to you. But choose wisely, because how you choose will affect your whole candle burning experience.

No comments: